Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"Flesh and Spirit"

I would like to first introduce you to my flickr page. you can search for me by name or just go to www.flickr.com/photos/Stephenlursen.

I have been working on many projects this fall, and have only been able to finish one piece.
My first finished piece is called "Flesh and Spirit". It is an oil on acrylic on canvas painting 8 feet tall by 4 feet wide. It is a metaphor for the struggle between flesh and spirit within me. Months passed as I painted layer upon layer and actually changed much myself. The struggle within me could nearly always be simplified into these two sides. The Flesh is symbolized by the lower area, the flesh colored abstracted heart. I tried to paint it in a way that looked as if blood were being pumped through the veins. Spirit is symbolized by the water washing down upon the flesh and overcoming it. The flesh isn’t taking it lying down, it fights back with volcanic eruptions of passion and emotion. But as the Spirit continues to wash away the weaknesses of flesh, only the good will eventually be left. a flesh that is unrecognizable will be left and that is a good thing. The glowing light in the background symbolizes the source of “light”, the source of life, knowledge, understanding… Yes to clarify I am talking about Jesus Christ through His Word in the Bible. Yeah, maybe sounds old, maybe “been there heard that”, but in my life, I can’t live without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment